***Important News- Fujitsu has replaced the S1500
with the new Fujitsu iX500 scanner***
Should you shell out over $400 for a scanner?
By +Dax Radder
Yes, and this is why:
If you are drowning in a sea of paper at home or at the office…this document scanner will come to your rescue…
The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 will throw you a life preserver.
That scenario with the lady in the picture above might be overstating it a bit, but we all at one time or another have probably felt like we were actually drowning in a sea paper with no recourse other than to buy another ugly metal file cabinet or, being at wit’s end, lighting a match to the paper mountain and grilling a few steaks over the resulting bonfire.
Now, thanks to modern-day technology, we have a viable third option: the desktop document scanner.
Undoubtedly the flagship for Fujitsu’s ScanSnap class of document scanners and, arguably, the most popular document scanner on the market, the Fujitsu S1500 sports the following features:
- one button searchable PDF creation
- intelligent paper feed detection
- blazing 20ppm (pages per minute) color scanning
- 50 page Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)
- Adobe® Acrobat® 9 Standard
Those are nice bulletin points, but what do they mean?
“Just what is a One button searchable PDF creation?”
This means that as soon as you push that blue button on the Fujitsu S1500 and your paper goes through the scanner, immediately a PDF (or Portable Document Format) is created, is stored into your computer and that document can now be found within your computer by a search method.
“How about that intelligent paper feed detection?”
You can put different shapes and sizes of paper into this document scanner and not lose an image due to the ultrasonic multi-feed detection sensor that can be turned on.
“Blazing 20ppm color scanning? Really?”
Yes, really. There is speed, yet there is a speed with quality and the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Document Scanner delivers that performance. Not only that, but the S1500 is just as fast when scanning at higher resolutions of 200 or even 300 dpi.
“Come on, you can actually put 50 pages into the feeder and it still works?
Absolutely. The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Document Scanner’s 50 page Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) will put a big dent into that pile of paperwork you so urgently need to scan and file into your computer.
“What’s so great about Adobe® Acrobat® 9 Standard being included?”
Well, instead of just “printing” and “seeing,” the Adobe® program also allows you not only to edit and search your documents, but the Adobe® supports password protection and digital ID creation which means that you are safeguarding all your personal and confidential information (you know, things you don’t want others to see).
“Are there any other attributes that I need to know to make a decision?”
Let me take a deep breath and say…
- Ease of use, automatic everything.
- Intelligent software with the ScanSnap Organizer 4.0 included.
- Did I mention fast scanning? 20ppm color, black & white or grayscale plus it scans both sides.
- Very compact. Only 12x6x6 and weighs 6lbs.
- Quality of scans is magnificent.
- Windows 7 compatibility.
- ABBYY FineReader included to convert your paperwork into editable text.
- CardMinder 4.0 quickly scans business cards, extracts the pertinent information and can be exported.
The Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Document Scanner
receives a rating of 4 and 1/2 stars out of 5.
While I make every effort to keep these price comparisons up-to-date, retailers do change their pricing frequently. Please use this comparison as a guide only!
Amazon.com ………………………………………$414.49 (free shipping with no tax)*
Newegg.com……………………………………….$414.99 (plus shipping with no tax)*
Staples.com………………………………………..$495.99 (free shipping plus tax)
Walmart.com……………………………………..$439.98 (plus shipping plus tax)
*no tax is dependent upon your state residency.
Enough of reading Document Scanner Reviews, let’s watch the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Document Scanner in action
|Product name||ScanSnap S1500|
|Scanner type||ADF (Automatic Document Feeder), Duplex scanning|
|Scanning modes||Color, grayscale, monochrome, automatic (color / grayscale / monochrome detection)|
|Image sensor||Color CCD （Charge-Coupled Device）×2 (front x 1, back x 1)|
|Light Source||White cold cathode discharge lamp|
|Scanning speed (Note1)
|Auto mode (Note2)||Simplex / duplex 20ppm|
|Normal mode||Color / grayscale 150dpi, monochrome 300dpi
simplex / duplex 20ppm
|Better mode||Color / grayscale 200dpi, monochrome 400dpi
simplex / duplex 20ppm
|Best mode||Color / grayscale 300dpi, monochrome 600dpi
simplex / duplex 20ppm
|Excellent mode||Color / grayscale 600dpi, monochrome 1,200dpi
simplex / duplex 5ppm
|Document size||Normal mode without Carrier Sheet||A4, A5, A6, B5, B6, Business card, Post card, Letter, Legal and Custom sizes (Max: 216mm x 360mm (8.5in. x 14.17in.), Min: 50.8mm x 50.8mm (2in. x 2in.)) / Automatically recognizes document size|
|Normal mode with Carrier Sheet||Use of a carrier sheet permits the scanning of A3, B4, double letter and photographs as well as the document sizes that are listed above|
|Long paper scanning (Note3)||863mm (34in.)|
|Paper weight (Thickness)||52g/m² to 127g/m² (14lb to 34lb）|
|Paper chute capacity (Note4)||Maximum 50 sheets （A4, 80g/m² or 20lb）|
|Interface||USB2.0 （USB1.1 Compatible）|
|Power requirement||AC 100V to 240V, 50 / 60 Hz|
|Power consumption||During operation : 35W or less
During standby : 4.5W or less
|Operation Environment||Temperature||5oC to 35oC (41oF to 95oF)|
|Relative humidity||20% to 80% (Non-condensing)|
|Dimensions (W x D x H) (Note5)||292mm (Width) x 159mm (Depth) x 158mm (Height)
(11.5in. x 6.3in. x 6.2in.)
|Device weight||3.0kg (6.62lb)|
|Environmental compliance (Note6)||ENERGY STAR® compliant / RoHS|
|Multi-feed detection||Supported (Standard) ultrasonic multi-feed defection sensor|
- Scanning speeds may vary due to the system environment used.
- Documents measuring approximately 148mm in length or less are scanned in “Best mode”, while other documents are scanned in “Better mode”.
- ScanSnap S1500 is capable of scanning documents that exceed A4 size in length. It supports the scanning of longer documents in all modes, except for “Excellent mode”.
- Maximum capacity varies, depending upon paper weight.
- Excluding the stacker and other external attachments.
- PFU Limited, a Fujitsu company, has determined that this product meets RoHS requirements (2005/95/EC).
|Windows® XP||Windows Vista™|
|Compatible operating systems (Note1)||ScanSnap Manager V5.0 (Note2)||Supported
|ScanSnap Organizer V4.0 (Note3)||Supported
|Adobe® Acrobat® 9 Standard (Note4)||Not Supported||Supported
|ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap™ 4.0||Supported
|Hardware Requirements||CPU (Note5)||Intel® Pentium® 4 1.8GHz or higher
(recommended: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 2.2GHz or higher)
|Memory capacity (Note5)||512MB or more (recommended: 1GB or more)|
|Disk capacity||2,920MB free hard disc space for installation|
|DVD-ROM drive||Required for installation|
|USB port (Note5)||USB2.0 / USB1.1|
- This product supports Microsoft® Windows®.
- It is asked that Mac computer users use Mac ScanSnap Manager V3.0, which is bundled with this scanner.Please see the ScanSnap S1500M System Requirements.
- The Windows® Desktop Search function supports Windows Vista™ and Windows® XP. Search functionality for Windows® 2000 Professional is only supported by Adobe® Acrobat® 7.0 and Adobe® Acrobat® 8.
- Requires Microsoft® Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher.
- Scanning speeds may drop if recommended CPU, memory capacity and USB requirements are not met.
- For use with Service Pack 4 or higher.
- For use with Service Pack 2 or higher. Compatible with Windows® XP Professional / Home Edition
|ScanSnap Carrier Sheets
|PA03360-0013||5 Carrier Sheets
Intended for ScanSnap S1500, S1500M, S510, S510M, S500, S500M and ScanSnap fi-5110EOX series scanners
|ScanSnap Bag||PA03951-0651||Intended for ScanSnap S1500, S1500M, S510, S510M, S500, S500M and ScanSnap fi-5110EOX series scanners and included items|
- Although ScanSnap Carrier Sheets have a listed lifespan of 500 scans, the lifespan may vary with usage. ScanSnap Carrier sheets are intended to scan paper documents with weights of 127g/m² or less. They also support the scanning of folded documents that are as large as 216mm x 297mm.
Did you enjoy this article or find it informative? Please share, tweet, like or +1 this post. Thank you!
Disclaimer: This review site generates some of its revenue through affiliate marketing. The purpose of the content is to provide useful information, but is also intended to promote specific products and services that will compensate us a percentage for each sale they make through individuals that have followed our links and recommendations. We always strive to provide accurate and useful information, but some content is provided through third party providers and the information, opinions and reviews expressed in that content is that of the authors and not of this website.